Free amigurumi pattern: Tuxedo Sam

29 May

Tuxedo Sam is a tubby little Sanrio penguin who loves to eat.

He likes to be called Tuxedo-san; Sam is too old-fashioned, he thinks.

sanrio blue penguin amigurumei crochet

Bubbles!

sanrio blue penguin amigurumei crochet

Ahhhhhh…

Make your own Tuxedo-san!

Materials

• 2.50 mm hook
  • 1.75mm hook
  • Similar sized yarn (blue, white, yellow and navy blue)
  • Embroidery floss (red and dark brown)
  • Darning needle
  • Pink brads (optional)
  • Polyester fiberfill
  • Small pebbles (to weigh Tuxedo-san down)

Body

With blue yarn:

Round 1: 6 sc in magic circle (6)

Round 2: 2 sc in each sc around (12)

Round 3: *2 sc, sc in next sc*, repeat 6 times (18)

Round 4: *2sc, sc in next 2 sc*, repeat 6 times (24)

Round 5: *2 sc, sc in next 3 sc*, repeat 6 times (30)

Round 6: *2 sc, sc in next 4 sc*, repeat 6 times (36)

Round 7: *2 sc, sc in next 5 sc*, repeat 6 times (42)

Round 8: *2 sc, sc in next 6 sc*, repeat 6 times (48)

Round 9: *2 sc, sc in next 7 sc*, repeat 6 times (54)

Round 10 – 23: Sc in each sc around (54)

Sew in the eyes – it should fall on round 12. Remember to leave enough space in between for the beak.

Pop in the pink brads (optional) for a blushing effect.

Round 24: *Inv dec, sc in next 7 sc*, repeat 6 times (48)

Round 25: * Inv dec, sc in next 6 sc*, repeat 6 times (42)

Round 26: * Inv dec, sc in next 5 sc*, repeat 6 times (36)

Round 27: * Inv dec, sc in next 4 sc*, repeat 6 times (30)

Round 28: *Inv dec, sc in next 3 sc*, repeat 6 times (24)

Round 29: *Inv dec, sc in next 2 sc*, repeat 6 times (18)

Begin stuffing the body. Add some small pebbles so Tuxedo-san will stand upright on its own. Top off with more stuffing.

Round 30: *Inv dec, sc in next 1 sc*, repeat 6 times (12)

Round 31: Inv dec all around (6)

Fasten off and weave in ends.

Beak

With yellow yarn:

Round 1: 7 sc in magic circle (7)

Round 2: 2 sc in each sc around (14)

Round 3: Sc in each sc around (14)

Fasten off and leave a long end for sewing.

Tummy

With white yarn:

Round 1: 6 sc in magic circle (6)

Round 2: 2 sc in each sc around (12)

Round 3: *2 sc, sc in next sc*, repeat 6 times (18)

Round 4: *2sc, sc in next 2 sc*, repeat 6 times (24)

Round 5: *2 sc, sc in next 3 sc*, repeat 6 times (30)

Round 6 – 15: Sc in each sc around (30)

Fasten off and leave a long end for sewing.

Feet (make 2)

With yellow yarn:

Round 1: 5 sc in magic circle (5)

Round 2: 2 sc in each sc around (10)

Round 3: *2 sc, sc in next sc*, repeat 5 times (15)

Round 4 – 7: Sc in each sc around (15)

Flatten the piece.

Round 8: Sc across both sides, chain 2, sc in the same stitch, slip stitch in the next sc, 3hdc in the next sc, skip 1, slip stitch in the next sc, sc in the next sc, chain 2, sc in the same stitch, slip stitch in the next sc.

Fasten off and leave a long end for sewing.

Weave the yarn to the bottom centre of the feet.

tuxedo sam sanrio crochet

Webcellent!

Arms (make 2)

Round 1: 5 sc in magic circle (5)

Round 2: 2 sc in each sc around (10)

Round 3 – 8: Sc in each sc around (10)

Fasten off and leave a long end for sewing.

Sailor hat

With white yarn:

Round 1: 6 sc in magic circle (6)

Round 2: 2 sc in each sc around (12)

Round 3: *2 sc, sc in next sc*, repeat 6 times (18)

Round 4 – 5: Sc in each sc around (18)

Round 6: 2sc in each sc around (36)

Round 7: Dec all around (18)

Change yarn colour to navy. Leave a long white yarn end for sewing later.

Round 8: *2 sc, sc in next sc*, repeat 9 times (27)

Fasten off and weave in ends.

penguin blue crochet amigurumei sanrio

For easy sewing, flatten the edges of the hat first.

Bowtie:

With red embroidery floss and a 1.75mm hook:

Chain 5

Round 1: Starting in second chain from hook, sc in the next 3sc, 3sc in the last sc.

Round 2: Rotate the foundation row, don’t turn it. Sc in the next 3sc, 3sc in the last sc.

Round 3: Rotate again. Sc in the next 3sc, 3sc in the last sc.

Fasten off and leave a long end for sewing.

Weave the long end of the embroidery floss to the centre then make three loops over the piece to shape the bow.

Tie a knot with the shorter end at the back.

Crochet an oval…

And loop, loop, loop.

Assembly

• Sew on the beak.
  • Flatten the white tummy piece and sew it on the body.
  • Sew on the feet and arms.
  • Add some stuffing to the sailor hat to keep it in shape. Flatten the brim on Tuxedo-san’s body and sew it on – be sure to sew on the protruding part of the hat so the edges can be folded up later. Curve up the ends when you’re done.
  • Sew on the red bow.
  • Ta da!
sanrio blue penguin amigurumei crochet

Ahoy there!

As this is an original amiguruMEI pattern, kindly do not claim it as your own. You may place a link to this pattern from your site, but please do not repost it onto your page. Remember to share a picture of your own kawaii versions of Tuxedo-san with amiguruMEI!

65 Responses to “Free amigurumi pattern: Tuxedo Sam”

1. Arte Friki May 30, 2012 at 5:01 am #

OMG! It is soooo cute ^^

• aida Abdala Sánchez August 8, 2015 at 10:14 pm #

Son maravillosos, me estoy embullando para hacer unos cuantos que me han gustado, gracias por facilitarnos los patrones, pienso me queden bien, ya que el tejer es mi pasión, en especial el croché, mis saludos y que sigáis teniendo éxitos, un abraso de TiAyita que es la misma persona que Aida, pero TiAyita es en sus labores varias,, si deseas visita mi página de TiAyita en facebook, gracias. Aida

2. dena May 30, 2012 at 2:18 pm #

Thanks for your share.
    May our group crochet this creaction.
    If you are agree, I will translate as Chinese.

• overthewater2012 May 30, 2012 at 2:27 pm #

Hi Dena,

Yes sure! Please do send me a link of the chinese pattern and I’ll include it in my site. Can’t wait to see your version of Tuxedo-san!:)

• dena May 30, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

OK~I will send you the link of chinese pattern.
        The members of our group will be joyful.

By the way, this is our crochet group in FB.
        Your coming would be appreciated. ^^

• overthewater2012 May 30, 2012 at 2:49 pm #

Hi Dena,

Just joined your group! Glad to meet all of you:) I will be creating another Sanrio free pattern soon. Will let you know once I’m done!:) Happy crocheting!

3. Anja June 3, 2012 at 4:28 pm #

He is very cute, thanks !!!!!

4. Yvonne June 4, 2012 at 2:24 pm #

Wow, this is so cute! I can’t wait to try out this pattern:)

5. Lottie's Creations June 5, 2012 at 12:23 am #

Such a cute pattern! Thank you for sharing it:)

6. Cj June 7, 2012 at 4:57 am #

How cool! I LOVED Hello Kitty and Friends when I was little. Thanks for the pattern.

7. erika June 9, 2012 at 9:21 pm #

Hi!!! I love it!!! How cuteeee❤❤❤ thank you for the pattern!!! Please, can i translate in portuguese?

• Meimoirs June 10, 2012 at 6:12 pm #

Hi erika!

Sure! Do send me a link of the pattern so I can include it here as well! Looking forward to seeing your version of Tuxedo-san!

8. Briseiis June 14, 2012 at 4:49 am #

Hi:)
    I love your Pattern! Here’s a link to my version of Tuxedo Sam😉

• Meimoirs June 14, 2012 at 5:28 pm #

Hi there! Ooh I love it! Yours look ultra cute! So glad you like it:) Do check back in the following weeks as I am planning an extra exciting pattern!:)

9. Amy, chou June 29, 2012 at 11:57 am #

Hi, thanks a lot for your adorable tuxedo-san pattern. My daughter and I love this penguin very much.
    Here is my version of this cutey ~

cute penguin

best regards,
    Amy.

• Meimoirs June 29, 2012 at 7:34 pm #

I love it so much! Love the fun colour combo! I hope you’ll both have many hours of fun with it:)

10. Anxo July 25, 2012 at 5:12 pm #

Hi! Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful pattern! I made a Tuxedo-sam, and you said you wanted to see the amigurumis we do with this pattern… so this is mine, I hope you like it:)

• Meimoirs July 25, 2012 at 5:33 pm #

Hi Anxo!

Thank you so much for sharing your cute little penguin with me! I love it! I think it looks so sweet and mild in grey. Hope to see more of your work!:)

11. tishcrafty July 30, 2012 at 8:39 am #

I LOVE this!! Its so cute!!! would it be okay if i made a pdf for it?? Thanks!!!

• Meimoirs July 30, 2012 at 10:30 am #

Hi tishcrafty!

Sure! Mentioning my site in it would make me a happy crocheter!:)

12. Yan November 23, 2012 at 2:33 am #

hi, do you agree if I translate your pattern in French?

• Meimoirs November 23, 2012 at 11:24 am #

Hi Yan!

Yes sure! If you can provide a link back to my site, that would be awesome! A big thank you for the support:)

• Meimoirs December 10, 2012 at 11:24 am #

It’s beautiful!

• (Madeson) Lily January 29, 2013 at 2:51 pm #

how do you weave? also where is the embroidery dark brown floss used? sorry i must be blind if if there!

• Meimoirs January 29, 2013 at 4:07 pm #

Hi Lily!

To weave in the ends, you can see an example here:

The dark brown embroidery floss was used to sew in the eyes:)

Let me know if you have any more questions!

13. amberstyre January 27, 2013 at 12:07 pm #

Reblogged this on amberstyre and commented:
    Lots of cute amigurumi patterns on this blog, check it out!

14. Hannah Ackroyd January 27, 2013 at 6:03 pm #

This is sooooo cute! Thank you so much for sharing it!

15. NotJustaKNitWit January 27, 2013 at 9:44 pm #

Aw, he is so cute! I am going to have to make one really soon.:-)

16. Beaver Benton March 8, 2013 at 8:39 pm #

Am going to attempt this! Haha! I’m very new to all of this, so am a bit unsure of the webbed feet and the bow-tie, but he’s too lovely not to give a shot!

17. Laura June 16, 2013 at 10:28 pm #

I have created him as a teacher gift, if I can say goodbye to little Tuck.
    click here

18. naulaertslaura June 16, 2013 at 10:32 pm #

I made one as a teacher gift, if I can part with him, that is. Here you can see my little Tuck finished. Also, this may be a double post, I am not sure whether my previous post went through or not.

19. Christine June 22, 2013 at 2:53 pm #

Hi! Thank you for the pattern! How big is the final product?

20. Mizz Foxxy June 23, 2013 at 12:37 pm #

Thank you very much for this cute pattern!:-)

21. Yvonne June 25, 2013 at 12:05 am #

Awesome pattern! I finally finished putting it together after crocheting it last year!!

22. Jenn July 2, 2013 at 7:40 pm #

love the lil guy! currently making one for a baby shower gift. had a question, what is an inv dec? i have never seen that term before. please help:) thanks!

23. Katja Martins August 6, 2013 at 2:36 am #

What beautiful instructions. Is it allowed to sell the finished works?

• Meimoirs August 11, 2013 at 10:52 am #

Yes you may sell the finished doll if you include a mention that it is based on an amiguruMEI pattern. Do share pictures of your work and link back to us so we can see what you’re up to from time to time:)

24. kirakira October 17, 2013 at 8:33 pm #

Thank you for sharing your pattern.
    Sooooooo cute!!
    Here is my version. http://mabusii.blog.me/50181423612

25. kirakira October 18, 2013 at 7:38 pm #

Thank you for sharing your pattern.
    I don’t speak english well. Here is my penguin. http://mabusii.blog.me/50181423612

• Meimoirs October 20, 2013 at 10:04 pm #

Your penguin is so so cute! Lovely yarn colours! Thank you for sharing them with me. They made me smile!

26. Twisted Fibers November 22, 2013 at 9:30 pm #

Please see this link: http://ichipooh.wordpress.com/2013/11/20/mau-moc-tuxedo-sam/
    This person has stolen your pattern and published it on her blog.

• Meimoirs November 26, 2013 at 5:02 pm #

Thanks for telling me!

27. Kai December 17, 2013 at 4:57 pm #

Can you tell me how to do a magic circle? I’m new to this.:) Thank you.

28. Kawaii Jen January 16, 2014 at 3:26 pm #

Awww…he is so sweet. I love Tuxedo Sam!

29. miri January 9, 2015 at 12:01 pm #

This looks a lot like your pattern – and it’s for sale.

30. Rachel Balasuriya November 22, 2015 at 6:01 pm #

Thanks for inspiring me to take up crochet! This is my first project
    //embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. mondgras.de » Blog Archive » Rückblick [#23] - June 3, 2012

[…] Körbchen aus Paketband, einer kleinen weißen Häkelkatze oder diesem ultraniedlichen Pinguin!! Diese Kokeshi ist aber auch echt süß und diese PomPom Raupe läd zum Kuscheln ein. […]

2. Projekt 52 [23 DIY Do it Yourself] | Just Happy Endings - June 13, 2012

[…] Sari’s Weekly WorldWideWeb hab ich diese hübsche Vorlage für Tuxedo Sam […]

3. From the Beginning | Hihi Tasi - October 8, 2012

[…] Although it would be a lovely makeup case that can easily be washed. The photo isn’t great because I was in a bit of a rush so I could get on with my crochet project. Right this moment I am working on Tuxedo-san for a friend who is having a baby soon. I am using this awesome pattern from https://amigurumei.com/2012/05/29/free-amigurumi-pattern-tuxedo-sam/ […]

4. Free Tuxedo Sam Amigurumi Pattern - free amigurumi patterns daily | free amigurumi patterns daily - December 13, 2012

[…] https://amigurumei.com/2012/05/29/free-amigurumi-pattern-tuxedo-sam/ […]

5. Miscellaneous Makings - February 15, 2013

[…] found the free pattern for Tuxedo Sam on a blog called amiguruMEI.  Other patterns and many cute photos of amigurumi creations can be […]

6. Pingüinos | Amigurumi Chile - March 29, 2013

[…] el blog de AmiguruMei se encuentra el patrón del adorable pingüino de Sanrio, Tuxedo Sam. El patrón se encuentra en inglés y cuenta con fotos […]

7. Mẫu móc Tuxedo Sam | Ichipooh - December 4, 2013

[…] Các bạn có thể xem hướng dẫn móc Tuxedo Sam ở đây( you can see free pattern here) https://amigurumei.com/2012/05/29/free-amigurumi-pattern-tuxedo-sam/ […]

8. Амигуруми пингвин Сэм - May 13, 2014

[…] выполнен Handcraft Studio (источник). Копирование только со ссылкой на наш […]

9. Crochet: Tuxedo Sam (Pattern in English) | Get Your Crayons - May 24, 2014

[…] Tutorial: https://amigurumei.com/2012/05/29/free-amigurumi-pattern-tuxedo-sam/ Blog: https://amigurumei.com […]

10. 15 Sweet Stuffed Animals to Crochet for Free | Imagine - July 6, 2014

[…] Tuxedo Sam from amiguruMEI is a cute crocheted take on a classic […]

11. Crochet: Tuxedo Sam (Pattern in English) | popandcraft - September 20, 2014

[…] Tutorial: https://amigurumei.com/2012/05/29/free-amigurumi-pattern-tuxedo-sam/ Blog: http://amigurumei.com […]

12. What have I been working on PLUS New Pokédex Challenge! » Jennifer Wang Bears - October 19, 2014

[…] Luckily! The pattern is also listed on Amigurumei’s website for FREE, and, although it’s slightly different from the updated pattern in the book, it contains very helpful pictures and extra instructions which were probably omitted from the book due to editing. Check it out here! […]